Monday, April 23, 2012

Rising Above


Rising Above, 8 x 6 in.
sold

Monday I painted at another old haunt, Mayfield Park, which, since we moved in the fall, is fabulously close to our house.   Instead of painting in the gardens, as I have in the past, I walked around to one of the trails and found a beautifully tall tree to paint.  :)  I know, you're shocked.  The funny thing was, in order to stand in the shade and to get the view I wanted, I had to stand near a port-a-potty.  No, I wouldn't have stayed had it smelled!  But I did get some quizzical looks, and one man even asked, jokingly, if I was painting the port-a-potty (since I had my easel turned toward it to avoid sun on my panel!)

-julie davis

2 comments:

Trevor Howard said...

Julie - I ran across your site and absolutely love your work! I'm not a fan of paintings that look like photographs - what's the point? I appreciate your brushwork and how loose you are able to keep it.

This piece is just great - I love the use of red oxide and of course the brushwork. It makes me want to get out of my studio and paint plein aire.

Karen Bruson said...

Great tree. Love that sky color!