Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Country Bale Out

Country Bale Out, 12 x 12

I did this larger version of the 8 x 10 "Fresh Cut Hay" this afternoon in a square format in anticipation of the winery show. I'm trying to get to a few "larger" ones for that show, and I enjoy translating rectangular format to square and vice versa. I'm really having a hard time with my greens and light reflecting poorly on them for my photos lately--this photo isn't what I'd like, but it had to do. This field is near Briggs, Texas, and was brimming with beautiful freshly baled hay in late May.

-julie davis

8 comments:

Leslie Saeta said...

For some reason square paintings are my favorite. Must be something in my head. I am glad you did this one in square format. It really works.

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Sweet! You paint nice and loose and finish up with a fresh, lovely
painting.

Mitzi Easley said...

J - I was taken with the smaller one and this is even better! Love what's going on behind the closest bale and the gap in the trees really pulls me into the painting! Great work! M

Laurel Daniel said...

I absolutely love this in the square format... and you retained the freshness of the plein air piece. Gorgeous color - the purples in the shadows and the cool light hitting the tops of the haybales. FAB.

Victor Errington said...

Hi Julie.
This is a lovely painting,a solid
definite painting.Well done.You
can tell that you are,or have been
a student of Laurel.All the best.
Vic.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Julie,

This is gorgeous. I'm thinking of you today because I'm trying to paint trees. Now sitting on my back porch staring at the maples and how they move. I'm thinking of you, a painter in Texas. Cool eh?

xoxoxoxBarbara

Sandra Galda said...

wow this one is terrific! really eye catching!

Diane Hoeptner said...

WOW! Your landscapes look so effortless, I'm totally inspired!!