Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tree Study 6


Tree Study 6, 8 x 6 in.

It may seem redundant to do the same subject over and over, but trees are something I adore painting, and their importance in a landscape cannot be underestimated. Any new manner of approaching them that I come across, I want to play with it until it becomes second nature. In addition to the active/passive side I've written about, Scott stressed the importance of the core of the tree being the darkest, and painting toward the core as you address the shadow and light aspects of the tree.

I'm not sure I subordinated one side of the tree here as successfully as I could have, but these studies are learning vehicles for me as much as anything--so go easy on me as I try to absorb and incorporate it all! :)

-julie davis

3 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Painting toward the core is an interesting thought. I usually paint dark to light, which I interpret to mean painting from the core, or darkest part of the tree. Am I confused? (I often am!!)

Kathy Cousart said...

This is wonderful. I think painting toward that dark core helps with layering and reading more accurately. A building process. I think we all appreciate your sharing and will promise to "go easy" on you- just keep 'em coming.:)
Best way to really get it is to turn and teach it to someone else:) Thank you for doing that.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

these tree studies are fabulous. Your work is great!