Monday, February 15, 2010

And Then There Was One


And Then There Was One, 6 x 6

In Laurel's class we've studied a block-in technique the last two classes that I've not entirely been a fan of. After a well-deserved wipe-down in the last class, I was determined to slog through it and figure it out at home. This was one of several small studies I did in attempting success at the technique. As classmate Stephen Parker has enumerated the technique on his blog quite well, I'm finding no real reason to restate his eloquent explanation of it! So head to his blog (the "You Guys Are In Trouble" post)to learn more....

-julie davis

7 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

the slog is tres successful.

Angela Elledge said...

Very, very nice and for so many reasons. I was immediately drawn to the single clementine, I especially like that it is slightly off center. Also, beautiful contrast of color, love the grays and the pop of orange. Very well done. Thank you for the sunshine award, been busy and have not had time to follow through, but I will.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Julie,

I agree with Angela. This is lovely.
I admire the fact that you'll try techniques you don't particularly like. I don't have that adventurous spirit. Good for you! Ultimately you keep what you enjoy. Otherwise I don't see the point in painting.

Wonderful painting. You are a great painter.

xoxoxoxoxHappy Valentine's Day,

Barbara

Ann Rogers said...

Haven't read Stephen's post yet, but whatever the technique is, it's working here. Very loose but with deliberate brushstrokes.

Patricia Siegel said...

Nice job, working it out through small studies. I tried the same, but my small study turned into several hours of self torture. You were smart keeping the subject simple. I love this clementine against the white plate, it really pops!

Becky Joy said...

Julie, I have awarded you the "Sunshine Award". Come to my blog to pick it up.

Unknown said...

cool... looking at this gets me looking forward to breakfast now :) A better side to art :)