Sunday, March 25, 2012

Red Barn


Red Barn, 10 x 8 in., oil on panel
donation, Trinity Episcopal School Auction
sold

So I've violated at least a big rule here--placing the center of interest in the center (ish) of the painting. A fail? I do think there is enough interest in the rest of this painting to keep the eye moving, but also know the composition would've been stronger if I'd avoided this misstep. Should've worked that out before I got too deep into the painting.

On a happier note, I was fortunate to hear from Helen Moreda recently that she'd named me for a Liebster Award, an award based on inspiration. A big thank you to Helen--much appreciated, and I'll list a few folks who have done the same for me. (here are the criteria for the award:)


As part of the tradition it is passed along to 5 bloggers that have
motivated and inspired you.

To accept the award you must:
1. Link back to the person who gave it to you and thank them
2. Post the award to your blog
3. Give the award to3- 5 bloggers with fewer than 200 followers
that you appreciate and value.
4. Leave a comment on the blogs to let them know that they have been offered this award.


Here are my five under 200 who at various times along the journey definitely motivated and inspired me. Thanks, y'all!


-julie davis

6 comments:

Ann Rogers said...

Thanks, Julie, for the blog award. I'm honored that you would think of me.
Love this painting...no violation here...I see the barn and the blue building as a unit and they are definitely left of center. Fun to keep up with your work!

Tracey Mardon said...

I agree Julie, it feels just great and after all the rules, that's what's important to me.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I have to say I didn't notice the break in the rules. Sometimes it just doesn't matter.
I like it.

Angela Elledge said...

I don't think this is too centered either. Love this painting, especially the shift of weight from left to right; very nice.

Lorraine Shirkus said...

To me, this is a very strong and dynamic composition.
The tall trees on the left act like a stage curtain that directs your eye to the entire scene. Your color is so rich and your brush strokes are so fluid and lush—I keep poring over your paintings to learn how you apply paint!

Thanks so much for nominating me for the Liebster!

Carmel Georgescu said...

Great painting!