Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunset Study

Sunset Study, 6 x 8

This week Plein Air Austin met at one of our member's homes on Lake Travis for a sunset paintout. Never having painted a sunset before, I was impressed by how much more quickly the sun sets when one is attempting to paint it! I believe it's a more challenging process than the typical plein air painting experience--we're always capturing a moment in "light" time, but in a sunset, one must chose the minute and really stick to it. The show changes so rapidly, and every moment is so enticing that it's easy to chase the light.

I did two paintings in about 35-40 minutes, and in addition to being blinded by the reflections on the water, I was seeing spots, and the darkening sky made it difficult to see my paints! I felt like I was slapping paint down and wasn't even sure what colors I was using. All this said, it was a ton of fun, and we all enjoyed pizza and a glass of wine afterward--a well-deserved reward for all the work!

-julie davis

4 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Julie,
This is beautiful= the colors are amazing. Admire your work and fun to see you also doing something brand new. You are very talented. I enjoy your blog.

Barbara Muir said...

Yum,

This is just delicious. I love how you painted the light, and the strength in this painting.

xoxoxoxoxoxBarbara

Laurel Daniel said...

Well, you slapped down some gorgeous color here! It's fun to see it finished - it was too dark when we finally put our brushes down! Yes, yes - so fun!

Pam Holnback said...

You captured it!