Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Last Day of Class

Sunny Side Up, 16 x 16

Today was the last day of my 6 week still life class with Laurel Daniel at AMOA's art school, and I painted the sunflowers in it this morning. I always hate it when class ends, but fortunately, another in plein air begins in three weeks. I'll keep my Wednesday mornings reserved at home for larger paintings. I have to say....flowers again! I decided I may as well keep on with it. I didn't quite know how to handle these complex flowers, but just went with what felt right and wound up with something I like again. Whew!

-julie davis

5 comments:

Laurel Daniel said...

Yay!! I was so hoping I would see this in it's final state. Fabulous!

Karen Rike said...

Julie, Your flowers are fabulous. You give them personality. Flowers have personality, don't they? Do keep it up.

Even though I probably paint with the BEST group in Texas, I'm jealous of your classes with Laurel. She sounds amazing. I have even considered driving from Dallas once a week to be a part of that painting experience.... Especially now that a plein air class will be starting. Probably not a smart idea.
Karen

Carolyn Finnell said...

You did a great job of simplifying the complex. Not only are the flowers beautiful, but the pot is fabulous.

Mary Douglas said...

Hi Julie, I love your paintings esp your still lifes. One small thing I might look at it is the light blue area of the pot on the left upper corner. It maybe needs to be darker or cooler to to receed back. As it is it looks a little flat. I'm a great admirer of Carol Marine and can see her influence, I envy you (in a good way) having such great teachers. Mary Douglas Pembroke, Ontario, Canada

julie davis said...

Mary, you're so right. It's funny, I struggled to finish this one in class and was wrestling with just that area towards the end. You have a good eye--thanks for the feedback.