Sunday, March 27, 2011

Still Waters


Still Waters, 12 x 9 in.
sold

This is another piece that I've prepared for the show at Davis Gallery here in Austin. It's a scene from one of my favorite places: Watercolor, Florida. Some of the most peaceful, reflective times I've had while painting have been there. I also love the simplicity of the palette I used in this piece--the grayed tones appeal to me and really describe this particular day.

*please come by and see the show if you're in Austin--it runs April 2 through May 7, and the opening is April 9th from 7-9 p.m. Here's a link to Davis Gallery.

-julie davis

5 comments:

clarkola said...

Hi Julie-nice paintings! I am trying to study trees and wonder if you could advise...books? Also love your sketches-what exactly are they painted on and with?
thanks, a Vermont student.

Kathy Cousart said...

This is beautiful. Looks like a wonderful spot to sit and enjoy the simple beauty- lovely colors and the grays are wonderful in this.

carol morgan carmichael said...

Lovely composition. Yes, as clarkola has mentioned, you are so great at rendering trees. Good luck with the show!

julie davis said...

Clark, if I can call you that:), I do my sketches on either a single small canvas panel (like Raymar or Panelli Telati), or I'll sometimes take a larger panel and divide it into four equal spaces and do four sketches on that. I use my "black" mix: a combination in three pretty much equal parts of raw umber, alizarin permanent, and ultramarine blue--I use this for my darkest dark in all my paintings. As for books, John Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting has an excellent section on trees, Edgar Payne's Composition of Outdoor Painting is key, and little bits from so many others--including the quote that stays with me "give each tree its gesture," by Robert Henri in The Art Spirit. -- forgive me for not underlining book titles--I'm a bit technologically slow at figuring that out in this context! Hope that all helps.

clarkola said...

Thanks-very helpful-
clark