Thursday, September 12, 2019

More than an "annual thing"




If you notice these things, it's apparent I've ignored my blog in favor of Instagram for the last long while. I apologize if that's been a issue, but encourage you to get on Instagram just for the art if you've been hesitant to move your attention to that platform. It's even more nimble and immediate than blogs, and you can visually devour art much more quickly!  (@juliedavisstudio is me)

That said, there is obviously a massive and receptive community for art in blogging, and there is more "meat on the bone" in this format. That's why I've chosen to also share this latest venture here, where I can write about it and share groups of photos to "journal" my time here. Even though after almost a year of absence I may be blogging to an audience of exactly one....!


First, you're noticing this isn't the Texas Hill Country, or Austin. Yes, it's New York. My husband and I leased a place in the city for two months this fall. Our daughters are in college and beyond, and my husband is fortunate enough to be able work wherever he is able to drag his laptop and cell phone, and I'm able to work wherever I can drag my easel, so this happened. And I've found my happy place here among the water towers on the rooftops of the city.

I typically begin by wiping away a very thin
mixture of paint and Gamsol into shapes.
Great skies, first sketch in the books.
This week I climbed to the rooftop of our place, and it was like a stairway to heaven for me. If these paintings aren't for you, ignore me for two months, because this is the direction I'll be taking while we're here. The roof is perfect for the introvert in me, because the only people around are on other rooftops, generally far away enough where they don't notice me. Don't get me wrong, I like people! Just while I'm painting, it's great if I don't feel on display, and I was really concerned about that for this New York stint. But up there, I'm alone, with endless viewpoints and subject matter and light alteration...it's fantastic. And I can run downstairs for lunch or a refill of coffee. I'm not sure I've ever painted in a more convenient setup, actually.

start #2
Pulled this shot from my insta-story.
Got a migraine mid-painting. When
I came back to finish, the light had
changed completely.
Sunset provided this wonderful, pink
 light, but it changed 
fast!
Finished this fourth study the next morning.
Fresh light, great skies.


Now I've got these four under my belt, I may move to individual 8 x 10 panels, to fit a little more information on each one. I can't wait to get back up there. Have a good week and a great weekend, and thanks for reading all the way to the end if you've made it this far. I'm planning on these blog posts being more than an "annual thing!"

-julie davis

2 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Love these! And what a great idea/location for you two! Will definitely go look for them on IG!

Marilyn Flanegan said...

Thanks for sharing with us Julie!
How do you like your Strada easel and do you have the standard or the mid size?
Wow, two months - enjoy your extended NYC adventure!