Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Copying the Masters

Tree sketch

In the midst of my own tree studies, I'm taking an online course with Deborah Paris called "Drawing and Painting Trees." Perfect for me, right? She has us doing all sorts of studies/sketches of trees, and this week one thing we've studied is the taper of a tree.

Deborah recommends reading The Elements of Drawing, by John Ruskin, an influential late 19th-century artist. She suggests copying his and other's sketches as a way to learn. It's a time-honored technique, but I can't say I'd ever done it! And it's very different copying another's work--following rather than leading, if you will, but I learned some very valuable lessons. First, slow down. Be more thoughtful about each line. Study what you're drawing. Look twice, mark once. All of these apply to painting, and all are things we tend to gloss over in the bliss of spreading paint.

A big thank you to Karla Uphoff, for making my blog her "Blog Find of the Week" on her blog. My tree studies are what drew her. Thank you!

-julie davis

6 comments:

Tracey Mardon said...

I've never thought of copying drawings but it makes such good sense. Thanks for reminding me about that book. I especially love it for air travel because it's light but chock full of information. Great work you're doing on the tree study!

Kathy Cousart said...

Julie- I have to thank you again for sharing great information. I will look into the book and also DParis. I am working on weaknesses and one of them is drawing! Thanks:)

Nancy Laliberte said...

I am so enjoying your tree studies, Julie. They are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing such great information.

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Julie,

Your tree studies are great. I'm so impressed with your dedication.

XO Barbara

Kathy said...

"My trees are what drew her."

Haha! Very punny.

Kathy said...

"My trees are what drew her."

Ha ha! Very punny.